Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Our Story // Chapter 2

It's occurred to me that I've never really posted a detailed account of my life story, of how I grew up and of how I met and fell in love with my husband. Or rather that's what this blog is, perhaps, a work in progress where I can account for all of the events that have led up to who I am today. But there are things I don't want to forget, things that I can feel slipping as life moves forward. So I'm taking the time to record the details.
 
 Chapter Two // Small Town Mind

Going to school in Pennsylvania was like nothing I had ever known before.  In Virginia there were new students joining our classes all of the time, sometimes one or more a week.  On the flip side of that coin, people moved away fairly frequently as well.  In fact each class back then had a "Welcome Ambassador" for new students, someone to befriend them and show them around the school.  I was one 3 years in a row growing up.  In small town PA though, new people didn't typically move to the area, and if they did they were just starting a family, not coming along with one like we did.  The class sizes were extremely small compared to what I was used to and the kids in my new school had known one another since Kindergarten and had formed bonds that were many years in the making.  I was the new girl and was a bit of a spectacle, something a shy girl like me found very hard. 

I had a hard time making any real friends.  The section of town that we lived in was what I'll call prominent.  It had the biggest houses, the newest cars, and the nicest neighborhoods.  And most of the kids in the school district reflected that.  This was the very first time in my life that I ever remember feeling inferior.  Things that didn't matter to me were suddenly important in other's eyes and things that I never even thought to notice were blaringly obvious now.  My clothes didn't have name brand logos on them like everyone elses did. And my parents car wasn't a make and model of luxury.  My house was tiny and my sneakers were dirty from afternoons playing outside.  In a world of trips to the mall, expensive clothing, and 5 bedroom houses, I was officially an outsider.  

I eventually made a few genuine friends and learned not to care about what I don't have and to be happy with what I do.  I learned more about myself as a person, thanks to my make do and mend attitude.  It was during this time that I fell in love with thrifting, sewing, and crafting.  I wouldn't say it was born out of necessity since my parents always supplied me with more than what I needed, but if I wanted something extra I had to figure out how to make that happen.  And I did.  


****************************************************

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Well thanks, you've officially sucked me in to reading your story! I'm glad you're back to blogging. And as a side-note, your blog looks awesome. When I'm ready to revamp mine, I'm calling you!!! This is Rachel from MOPS by the way. ;)